11 Chem, week 1 - Trendy Tables

Hey y'all, Liam here!
After quite an eventful summer, coming back to the relative calm and structure of school was a welcome break.  Refamiliarizing myself with D2L, especially after its complete facelift, was a challenge, but now that I've figured out what all the important websites are, organized and colour-coded my Google Drive folders, sharpened all of my pencils etc. I think I understand what exactly they've done to this!
Going back to reviewing grade 10 chemistry, such as covalent and ionic bonds and the Lewis dot diagrams, was helpful (albeit occasionally tedious) as I haven't done chemistry for... almost a year now.  Wow.  Anyway, in grade 10 we hadn't studied specific scientists who contributed to chemistry, so learning about the development of the atomic model was informative.
Personally, I thought that in the first module (Introduction to Chemistry) the pHET game was unnecessary.  Granted, it's a good basic tool, but the games are too short to have any real challenge to them.  It was, however, a stimulating break from the research of that module.
Finally, I'd like to touch on some of the concepts that were new to me this year - specifically, the several trends of the periodic table.  Although the trend with atomic radius seems fairly straightforward, the topic in general was engaging.  I am quite familiar with the periodic table, having once aspired to become an expert in all things atomic, yet I feel that with this new knowledge of different trends I have furthered my understanding of how these elements would react with each other.


Whenever I'm typing my mouse vibrates and I've been trying to figure out what note it's vibrating at... further updates on this as I continue to play around here.

Thank you for reading, hopefully you found some joy with this nice peak into my chemistrical life (Is that a word?  I don't think it's a word) and I hope to keep providing said entertainment for the next four and a half months!  As a side note, I'm quite new to blogging so please don't be perturbed by my lack of anything stylish.  I'll try my best to learn how to do this right, even as my small town has been overrun by the street cleaners.

Comments

  1. I agree with you said about how the topic of trends on a periodic table was enaging because you get to figure out how all these trends connect with each other and what groups/periods have the biggest or smallest atomic radius based on where they are. It is a bit of a hassle trying to figure out where each individual element lies on the scale of things compared to others though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts